My name is Isaac Boates, and I am a developer with a specific focus on Geographic Information Systems, or GIS. Almost all information on the planet has some spatial context or another. I’ve spent my career so far working with and developing tools to create, analyse & present this spatial information.
I take a great deal of pride in my work and I always enjoy learning new methods and systems. I tend to familiarize myself with and integrate open source solutions as way of cutting costs on licenses and increasing technical independence.
Have a look at my portfolio to see some selected works that I have created over the last few years.
Education & Experience
I have received a Bachelor’s of Science from Memorial University of Newfoundland in St. John’s, Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada as well as a concurrent Technical Diploma in Geographic Information Science. After that, I worked as a GIS Specialist at Stantec Consulting Ltd. in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I have recently an International Master’s Degree in Geomatics at Hochschule Karlsruhe in Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg, Germany. My thesis was on the modeling of interdependencies between different utility networks using 3D semantic city models, being done in conjunction with the European Institute for Energy Research, also in Karlsruhe, where I now work as a research fellow.
- Python Unit Testing with pytest
- Feature Manipulation Engine (FME)
- Linux administration
- Version control / git
- Agile development
- Web APIs
Awards & Publications
- 2017-06: ESRI Development Centre Student of the Year Award in Kranzberg, Bavaria, Germany for work on the Raster Stamp
- 2018-02: Participant at the 4th International Conference on Geographical Information Systems Theory, Applications & Management in Santa Cruz, Madeira, Portugal
- 2018-05: Completion of Professional Testing with Python course from Python Academy
- 2018-07: Completion of “The Pitch Presentation” seminar from Nationalen Insituts für Wissenschaftskommunikation (NaWik) (National Institute for Scientific Communication)
- 2018-10: Author of “Network Modelling and Semantic 3D City Models: Testing the Maturity of the Utility Network ADE for CityGML with a Water Network Test Case“, presented at ISPRS Annals of Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences at GeoDelft 2018 in Delft, The Netherlands